Sunday, August 22, 2010

What to do and what not to do prior to a deployment (Updated 5 Jan 11)

Introduction


I'm going on my first deployment soon.  These are my lessons learned from my preparation for my deployment.  In preparation for this deployment, I often came across the same questions "What is the Army going to provide me? What do I need to buy?  What things are absolutely essential and what are some of the other creature comforts that I should consider buying?" My hope is that my tips will help other physicians who will also be deploying soon.


UPDATE 5 Jan 11: I'm now 4 months into deployment and I have made some changes to these recommendations.


My situation:  I have been "profised" or sent from another base to deploy with another unit at another base.  This is a common way for doctors and nurses to be deployed.  


New IOTV
If you are new to the army, then you probably do not have much military gear.  If you never received your "basic issue" of gear from CIF, then go and get it.  Go ahead and draw all of it because you will need get your name sewn on some of it.  The only exception is that I would decline the body armor if it is not the new IOTV (Improved Outer Tactical Vest).  There is another issue called RFI (rapid forwarding issue, if I am not mistaken) just prior to your deployment. The following hints will hopefully save you money and give you some guidance on what you really need and what you can wait to buy.


Must Buy Things/Do:


1) Carry a copy of your credentials on your person and also digitize your documents and leave it on a server like google.


2) Increase your life insurance.  Go get some additional term-life insurance.  Make sure they do not have a war clause.


3) Name Tags-Get your name sewn on your rucksack, MOLLE (the vest that has a bunch of pockets, assault back (the small backpack), and the helmet band.  Also get your battle roster number which is your initials of your first name and last name and your last 4 sewn on the helmet band.  Mark your other gear with a permanent marker.  Update: Don't bring the MOLLE.  I have never used my rucksack.


4) I bought some of the new sophisticated duffle bags that have wheels.  My RFI also gave me two more of the new duffle bags.  I would purchase these new sophisticated duffle bags from the clothing store to make it easier to move things down to your unit.  Get the black one so you can actually use for normal travel.


5) Pelican box- Buy one of these either from craiglist or new.  I'm putting my medical reference books and external hard drive with digital copies of movies.  I got the 1620 model.  UPDATE: Other officers brought a Stanley (a big) tuff box. Go buy one these bad boys from Home Depot or Lowes.  They are huge.  The pelican I bought is 3 times smaller :(  I wish I got the Stanley. UPDATE: GET A STANLEY!


6) In preparation for the deployment, remember to schedule time away from your clinic to visit CIF (Central Issue Facility) and to pack.  Remember, preparing (i.e. packing) for a deployment is an army duty and you should be doing that during the duty day and not during your personal time.


7) Update your hearing (audiogram), PPD, HIV, Pap (for the women) before going to SRP.  Update your glasses if necessary and get those free glasses from the Army.  I'm surprised that the new army glasses are actually stylish.


8) Do your Will.  Get those Power of Attorney documents done.  They will take care of this at the SRP but if you can do it before SRP, then it is one less thing you have to wait for in a long line.


9) Most important-  Find out what resources are available for your spouse/family.  The doctors/nurses are often forgotten when it comes to deployment support.


10) Absolutely MUST BUY a paddle holster.  I bought a paddle holster from Fobus.  This will make your life so much easier when dealing with the 9mm.  The leg strap from the Army is cumbersome and difficult to use especially in the PT uniform.  Consider buying the fobus 9mm cartridge holder paddle too.  (I don't have any financial stake in this company.  This is the company that other soldiers who have deployed have recommended to me.)  UPDATE 5 Jan 11: this has been one of the best recommendations.


11) Flashlights- get a head lamp, a nice hand flashlight, and then get one of those key chain flashlights.  Don't get those crappy army issued flashlights.  Get all LED flashlights.


12) Pack a pillow.


13) Laptop, webcam, headphones, microphone if your webcam doesn't have a mic.


You need more than 1!
14) Update your epocrates and other software that you use for clinical practice.


15) IR US Flags-  Try and buy these second hand from local internet markets or craiglist.  RFI only gives you 1!  You need more.  Probably like 5.  Full price  is near $20 each.  I bought 4 used ones for $20.  For example, here a few links to local internet markets that sell military gear second hand:


http://www.stewartyardsales.com/
http://www.campbellyardsales.com/

http://www.hoodyardsales.com/


UPDATE: Just buy 1-2.  You will be issued 1 and then you can order another one for free once you have been deployed through a program called ADO.


16) Patrol Cap


17) MP3 player (ie IPOD)


18) Epocrates on your phone.


Don't Buy Things: 


1) Sunglasses (aka eye protection)-wait until you are issued the eye protection from the RFI.  If you don't like the issued eye protection then go buy yourself those nice oakleys.  US Standard Issue sells Oakley's and other high speed things at a good discount.


2) Camel back-You get issued one from your basic issue and another bladder from RFI.


3) Multipurpose Tool (ie. gerber)-Free from RFI.


4) Extra ACUs and boots-Go through RFI first.  I did not get extra ACUs from RFI but if you go to Afghanistan you might get some different uniforms.  I brought 3 ACUs which is fine.  You can buy uniforms once you are in theater.  Same thing goes for boots.  Wait for RFI.  I think those going to Afghanistan are getting some cool boots while those going to Iraq do not get any new boots.


5) Gloves- Your basic issue and RFI will give you all different kinds of gloves.


Don't Use/Don't Do/Get out of it if you can:


1) Traditional duffle (green one)- The straps break with too much weight.  


2) Original body armor-Turn in your original body armor.  I did not bring my original body armor down to my new unit, because I knew that I would be receiving the new body armor known as the IOTV.  What I didn't know was that I could have turned in my original armor.


3) Canteen cup and canteens- My unit didn't put these on the packing list.  Camel backs are the way to go.


4) Qualifying on your weapons- This wont stop the deployment and your unit will require you to qualify on the actual weapon you will carry.  I qualified at my home base only to find out that I have to do it again.  If you like shooting, then go ahead and qualify at your home base.

5) Winter gear- Don't buy this!  They will give you winter gear at RFI!


To all my fellow docs out there who have deployed or are getting to deploy, be safe.  Please comment on other hints.  I'll add another blog about deployment benefits and the process for splitting deployments for docs.


Leave comments, complaints, or suggestions below.

1 comment:

  1. From a doc in Iraq now:

    Love the site.
    Comments: you get free uniform stuff a few months into deployment on a monthly/ stipend basis (through AKO)- you can get new uniforms, socks, shirts, patches, IR flags, ... Check with your unit to find out what their uniform policy is- patrol cap vs booney.

    For Iraq, I'm allowed to wear the non-flame retardant ACUs on FOB. They hold wear so much better than the flame retardant ones. I'd recommend bringing a pair or 2. Bring extra unit patches for when you get to put on your combat patches. Since you'll be with a unit, you'll probably have a fair amount of down time. Make some goals during deployment about what you want to accomplish: financial, personal development, fitness. Goals was the best advice I've had so far.

    ReplyDelete